Radon in the Okanagan

Radon in the Okanagan

What is Radon?

Radon is a radioactive, invisible, odorless gas that can seep into your home through cracks in floors, walls and foundations. You can’t see radon. You can’t smell it or taste it. But when radon seeps into a closed-in space like a house, it can be harmful.

Radon in the Okanagan is not new, but understanding the potential harmful affects is becoming more clear. The Okanagan and much of BC’s Interior has been found to possess one of the world’s highest concentration of Radon gas. More often than not the natural release of Radon from the Earth is harmless given its minimal concentration in our air. However, when Radon seeps into your basement through the foundation it can collect and increase the concentration over time eventually becoming hazardous to your health.

In fact, Radon is indicated as the leading cause of cancer behind tobacco in Canada!

But this isn’t about scaring you, this is about mitigating your risk. Radon detection kits are available and testing your home for Radon is a wise precaution. There are terrific resources out there to inform and educate. Plus, I am always happy to answer any questions.

Check Out: Radon Aware for more information and feel free to contact me anytime.

Paul Snook